|Full name||Ayrton Senna da Silva|
|Profession||Formula One driver|
|Years active||1984 – 1994|
|No. of championships||3 (1988, 1990, 1991)|
Ayrton Senna was a superstar Formula One racer whose splendor as a driver was a combination of amazing intellect and coruscating charisma. Intensely passionate about racing, Senna always sought to extend his limits, to go faster than himself, which ultimately made him a martyr.
Senna was known for his one-lap magic and held the record for most pole positions from 1989 to 2006. Other than this, he was also acclaimed for his performances in wet weather. One of the most successful drivers of all time, Senna holds a record six victories at the Monaco Grand Prix.
Considered the most dominant driver in racing history, Senna made history year after year with his amazing performance on the track. The award-winning movie Senna is a delight for Senna fans and covers all important aspects of his life.
Ayrton Senna Personal Biography
|Date of birth||21 March 1960|
|Place of birth||São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil|
|Date of death||1 May 1994|
|Place of death||Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italy|
|Spouse||Lilian de Vasconcelos Souza (1981 – 1982)|
|Partners||Adriane Yamin (1985 – 1988) Xuxa (1988 – 1990) Christine Ferracciu (1990 – 1991) Adriane Galisteu (1993 – 1994)|
|Parents||Milton Guirado da Silva, Neide Senna da Silva|
|Siblings||Viviane Senna (sister), Leonardo Senna (brother)|
|Relatives||Bruno Senna (nephew)|
Senna was born on 21 March 1960, in São Paulo, Brazil to landowner and factory owner Milton Guirado da Silva and his wife Neide Senna da Silva.
He had an older sister and a younger brother.
From 1981 to 1982, Senna was married to Lilian de Vasconcelos Souza, whom he had known since childhood.
In 1985, Senna then started dating 15-year-old Adriane Yamin, the daughter of an entrepreneur from São Paulo.
Senna also dated Brazilian TV star Xuxa, Christine Ferracciu and had brief affairs with American model Carol Alt and models Marjorie Andrade and Elle Macpherson.
At the time of his death, Senna was dating Brazilian model, and later TV personality, Adriane Galisteu.
Brief Career Highlights
- Senna started kart racing at the age of 13 years where he won his first ever race.
- Eight years later he started racing in Britain, where he won five championships in three years.
- To pursue his career in Formula One racing, Senna gave up a future in his father’s businesses.
- He made his F1 debut with Toleman in 1984 but due to their limited resources, he moved to Lotus in 1985.
- Having reached the limits of Lotus he then moved on with McLaren in 1988 where stayed for six seasons.
- After some great performances with McLaren, Senna moved to Williams where he crashed and died during the 1994 season.
- On May 1, at the San Marino Grand Prix, Senna’s Williams crashed into a concrete barrier leading ultimately to his death.
Formula One World Championship career
|Active years||1984 – 1994|
|Teams||Toleman, Lotus, McLaren, Williams|
|Championships||3 (1988, 1990, 1991)|
|First entry||1984 Brazilian Grand Prix|
|First win||1985 Portuguese Grand Prix|
|Last win||1993 Australian Grand Prix|
|Last entry||1994 San Marino Grand Prix|
Records in Formula One
Many records were made by Senna as a Formula One driver out of which he still holds the given records, even after almost 30 years of his death.
- Most consecutive wins at the same Grand Prix: 5 (Monaco Grand Prix 1989 – 1993)
- Most consecutive pole positions: 8 (1988 Spanish Grand Prix – 1989 United States Grand Prix)
- Most pole positions at the same Grand Prix: 8 (San Marino Grand Prix 1985 – 1991, 1994)
- Most consecutive pole positions at the same Grand Prix: 7 (San Marino Grand Prix 1985 – 1991)
- Most consecutive front row starts: 24 (1988 German Grand Prix – 1989 Australian Grand Prix)
- Highest percentage of front row starts in a season: 100% (1989)
Memorable Quotes by Ayrton Senna
Here are some quotes by Ayrton Senna that are proof of his uttermost dedication to racing and why many considered him the greatest F1 driver ever.
- “I am not designed to come second or third. I am designed to win.”
- “Winning is most important. Everything is a consequence of that.”
- “When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough.”
- “Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.”
- “I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Amazing speed, dedication to always become faster than ever and many more qualities.
Fatal skull fractures were the main cause of Senna’s death.